by: Ashley Pena
We wish to extend our sympathy to Phyllis Te Slaa and her extended family on the death of her husband, Al Te Slaa, on December 8. Al’s funeral service was held here at First Reformed Church yesterday, December 12. We also extend our sympathy to
Mary Hoogers on the death of her brother-in-law, Bruce Leonard, on Sunday, December 6. The funeral service for Bruce was held at the George Boom Funeral Home in Sioux Falls, SD on Friday, December 11.
Congratulations! To Nick and Laura Beyenhof on the birth of their son, Hayden Jay, on November 13, 2020. We rejoice with you on this special blessing in the life of your family!
Thank You: Thank you for your prayers and support during the past weeks as we have coped with Covid. We are thankful for answered prayers for our family. –Norma Gisolf & family
Prayer Updates: Karen De Noble- has completed her chemotherapy treatments. She will complete testing at a later date to check for a reoccurrence. Trish Lombard - Trish’s family asks for continued prayers as Trish’s chemotherapy options are finished. Pray for Trish and her family to experience God’s peace during the weeks ahead. Melissa Moser – had surgery in Iowa City on November 13. Please pray for recovery from surgery.
- Shelly Axsom, Ashley Schwartze’s mother (recovering from surgery on December 1st)
- Pam Foster, Bob Dreke’s sister (coping with Huntington’s disease)
- Tanner Lincecum (pray that Tanner’s shunt will continue to work effectively)
- Thomas Bouwman, Tom & Sheryl Bouwman’s son (continues to make progress in physical therapy)
- Greyson Austin (family asks for prayers while waiting for a second surgery in the future)
- Caden Wright (please pray for Caden to remain healthy as he attends school)
- Sawyer Hrdlicka (recovering from recent sinus surgery)
- Ashley Schwartze (scheduled for a second carpal tunnel surgery on December 10)
*Your prayers are also requested for the following individuals who are coping with cancer: Marilyn Kuyper (Ethanie Pulscher’s aunt; recent tests showed that Marilyn’s cancer has grown a small amount; treatment now includes a new type of drug). Arlene Sterler, (Robbie Korthals’ mother, Arlene’s cancer has moved to her lungs; pray for Arlene’s doctors to have wisdom as they care for her), Vicki Van Houten(Judy Netten’s sister, Vicki has finished her chemotherapy treatment; she is now getting a preventive treatment that will finish in November), and Gail Hartter (Eric Hartter’s mother, has had a reoccurrence of cancer).
SURVEY: The Consistory is sending out a brief survey on Flocknote as a follow up to Pastor Dan’s sermon series regarding the conflict in the Reformed Church in America. The survey will be sent out tomorrow, Monday, December 14, and is due back by the following Monday, December 21. IF YOU ARE NOT ON FLOCKNOTE, please request a paper survey with the church office and one will be provided by mail, in your mail box, or for pick up. Please return by December 21 to the church office. THIS IS NOT A VOTE. We are only gathering information. Thank you.
Consistory Meets Wednesday Night. Elders will meet at 6:00 PM to hear professions of faith! Full Consistory at 7:00 PM.
Birthday Calendars: The Bell Choir will be selling Birthday/Anniversary Calendars for 2021. They are $5.00 each with all proceeds going to The General Fund. To order your copy contact Sharon Tilstra at 472-2390, Mary Hoogers at 472-3097, the church office at 472-3729 or leave a note in Sharon and/or Mary’s church mailbox. The deadline to order is TODAY, Dec 13. Calendars will be ready by January 1. Thank you in advance for your support.
Christmas Caroling Ministry
Share the JOY OF THE SEASON by singing a few favorite Christmas carols and spreading Jesus' love to homebound individuals or those in the nursing home? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
How can you help?
* Be in a group of 6-8 people and sing 3-4 favorite Christmas songs outside the door and/or windows to our homebound individuals. Families and children are welcome! Masks will be required along with spreading out 6+ feet from each other.
* Make phone calls. We need volunteers to call to arrange a date/time when we would be coming to sing to them.
* If you would like to have us to carol to you, and/or if you know of someone that would, please contact us.
Please contact Sharon Postma at 712-470-0533 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, December 16, if you are willing to help out! Thank you!
Task Force Meeting Recommendations:
Morning worship will continue but with the following requests:
- That you sit in every other pew to create social distancing. Signs will be up to assist with this, we strongly recommend and encourage wearing masks when entering and exiting the service. We will make masks available, If you feel you are at risk, are not comfortable being in a crowd, or do not feel well we encourage you to stay home and watch on Livestream
- We are planning on having our Christmas Eve worship service on December 24. However, we will hold TWO SERVICES, one at 4:00 PM and 6:30 PM and ask people to sign up for which service they want to attend.
- Please Call Church Office to reserve Meeting Rooms
Pastor Dan and Sue’s Retirement Celebration Information:
Help us celebrate their years of ministry and express our appreciation to Pastor Dan and Sue for all they have done to encourage, lead, teach and disciple.
December 15 - deadline for tributes we need your help! We are asking for tributes from everybody! This can be done via a hand-written note, email, video, photos, etc. Reflect on a special memory you have with Pastor Dan and/or Sue. Maybe it was during a joyous occasion, a spiritual growth moment, a difficult situation they were alongside you, etc. Be creative and be reflective of their involvement in your faith journey!
Send tributes to Amy Hartter:
- Email email@example.com
- Text message 712.470.3518
- Drop it off in Amy’s church mailbox
- Mail it to Amy at: 202 Buncombe Drive, Rock Rapids
*You may also send personal tributes that you would like to be kept private directly to Pastor Dan and Sue at their home address.
The tributes will be used in a video or a book that will be presented to Pastor Dan and Sue. Any non-digital photos will be scanned and returned. Please note that due to volume, we may not be able to use all tributes during the January 24 service; however, all tributes will be forwarded on to Pastor Dan and Sue. We would appreciate it if you would forward this information on to any family or friend that may have moved away.
Special Dates to Remember:
- December 20 - special recognition during the church service
- January 24 - Retirement celebration service during the entire service and meal afterwards
- January 31 - snow date if needed for January 24
If you have any questions, please contact a committee member: Sharon Postma, Audra Klinkenborg, Cody Hoefert, Susan VanWyhe, Cheryl VanBeek, George Schneidermann, Amy Hartter, Shari Kastein.
Sunday 12-6-2020 YTD Offerings YTD Budget
General Fund: $ 6,164.00 $ 310,306.86 $371,728.21
Benevolent Fund:$ 13,901.00 $ 180,691.47 $170,672.38
Building Fund: $100.00 $ 48,205.49 $ 77,363.65
Sunday School Attendannce:
Last Year’s Attendance: 114 Last Week’s Attendance: 82
Last Year’s Offering: $130.26 Last Week’s Offering: $96
SUNDAY: Sunday School – CHRISTMAS: Jesus was Born/Immanuel, God with Us
7:00 pm Moms in Prayer: Traditional
5:15 pm Moms in Prayer: College & Careers
7:00pm Women’s Ministry Meeting Room 345
12:00 pm Mom’s in Prayer: Traditional
9-11am MOPS of Lyon County
2:30 – 5:00 pm Club 512
5:30 pm Moms in Prayer Traditional
5:00 – 6:30 pm Midweek Meal will be served. All are welcome!
6:00pm Elders Meeting
6:15 pm Bells Practice
6:30 pm JR RCYF
7:00pm Full Consistory
7:00 pm Praise Team Practice
8:00 pm SR RCYF
7:00 pm Walk in Love
1:00 pm Grandmas in Prayer
SUNDAY: Sunday School – From Adam to Jesus/Jesus is the Last Adam
9:30am Legacy Sunday
Sunday School-Unit 19: Session 1 From Adam to Jesus/Jesus is the Last Adam
7:00 pm Moms in Prayer: Traditional