by: Ashley Pena
Sympathy: We wish to extend our sympathy to Tom and Kayla Vander Lee, Fred and Sharon Tilstra, and their extended family on the death of Tom’s grandfather/Sharon’s uncle, Norm Vander Lee. Norm was a member here at First Reformed Church for many years.
Thank you to Pastor Dan for your weekly prayers for my brother Nic and to my wonderful Care Elder for walking this journey with me for the past 6 months. Yes, cancer took Nic's life, but cancer cannot take his vibrant spirit or his deep rooted Faith. And cancer will never take away all the memories I made with him. Thank you for the prayers, calls, cards, food and flowers. I am so Blessed to be a part of First Reformed. ~Mary Hoogers~
Thank you to all who participated in Operation Christmas Child in any way. As a church, we packed 146 shoebox gifts! Those gifts are now in Denver being processed and ready for their final trip. Please continue to pray for the children who will receive our shoeboxes – that as they hold a tangible gift in their hands, they will know of the eternal gift of salvation. ~Amy Schulte~
Prayer Updates: Chuck Hoekstra is recovering well from his back surgery. He is going to physical therapy and is regaining his strength. Trish Lombard - Trish’s family asks for continued prayers as Trish’s chemotherapy options are finished. Pray for Trish and her family to experience God’s peace during the weeks ahead. Melissa Moser – had surgery in Iowa City on November 13. Please pray for recovery from surgery.
- Pam Foster, Bob Dreke’s sister (coping with Huntington’s disease)
- Tanner Lincecum (pray that Tanner’s shunt will continue to work effectively)
- Thomas Bouwman, Tom & Sheryl Bouwman’s son (continues to make progress in physical therapy)
- Greyson Austin (family asks for prayers while waiting for a second surgery in the future)
- Caden Wright (please pray for Caden to remain healthy as he attends school)
- Sawyer Hrdlicka (scheduled for sinus surgery on December 3)
*Your prayers are also requested for the following individuals who are coping with cancer: Marilyn Kuyper (Ethanie Pulscher’s aunt; recent tests showed that Marilyn’s cancer has grown a small amount; treatment now includes a new type of drug). Karen De Noble (David De Noble’s mother, please pray for comfort as Karen goes through chemotherapy treatments) Arlene Sterler, (Robbie Korthals’ mother, Arlene’s cancer has moved to her lungs; pray for Arlene’s doctors to have wisdom as they care for her), Vicki Van Houten(Judy Netten’s sister, Vicki has finished her chemotherapy treatment; she is now getting a preventive treatment that will finish in November), and Gail Hartter (Eric Hartter’s mother, has had a reoccurrence of cancer).
Club 512 Volunteers for December 2:
1st/2nd Alex Lyman & Kyla Kruger
3rd/4th Emerson Kelderman, Paige Dieren & Gabe Schulte
5th/6th Bucky Thomas & Cael Schulte
Nursery 3:15 – 4:45 pm Kay Wynia
Snacks : Doris Schneidermann & Peggy Metzger
Midweek Meal: Glenda Hellenga, Audra Klinkenborg, Jen Heofert, Amy Sprock & Denise Roskam
Birthday Calendars: The Bell Choir will be selling Birthday/Anniversary Calendars for 2021. They are $5.00 each with all proceeds going to The General Fund. To order your copy contact Sharon Tilstra at 472-2390, Mary Hoogers at 472-3097, the church office at 472-3729 or leave a note in Sharon and/or Mary’s church mailbox. The deadline to order is Dec 13. Calendars will be ready by January 1. Thank you in advance for your support.
Task Force Meeting Recommendations:
Morning worship will continue as we have been but with the following requests:
- That you sit in every other pew to create social distancing. Signs will be up to assist with this.
- We strongly recommend and encourage wearing masks when entering and exiting the service. We will make masks available.
- If you feel you are at risk, are not comfortable being in a crowd, or do not feel well we encourage you to stay home and watch on Livestream
- The children’s Christmas Program is still on for Sunday, December 6 at 4:00 PM
- We are planning on having our Christmas Eve worship service on December 24. However, we will hold TWO SERVICES, one at 4:00 PM and 6:30 PM and ask people to sign up for which service they want to attend.
- Meetings: Please call the church office (472-3729) to reserve a room. Please remember, social distancing should still be practiced. We also ask that the tables, chairs and door handles be wiped down with wipes provided in each room.
Pastor Dan and Sue’s Retirement Celebration:
Help us celebrate their years of ministry and express our appreciation to Pastor Dan and Sue for all they have done to encourage, lead, teach and disciple.
- December 20 - special recognition during the church service
- December 15 - deadline for tributes
- January 24 - Retirement celebration service during the entire service and meal afterwards
- January 31 - snow date if needed for January 24
We need your help! We are asking for tributes from everybody! This can be done via a hand-written note, email, video, photos, etc. Reflect on a special memory you have with Pastor Dan and/or Sue. Maybe it was during a joyous occasion, a spiritual growth moment, a difficult situation they were alongside you, etc. Be creative and be reflective of their involvement in your faith journey!
Send tributes to Amy Hartter:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text message 712.470.3518
- Drop it off in Amy’s church mailbox
- Mail it to Amy at: 202 Buncombe Drive, Rock Rapids
*You may also send personal tributes that you would like to be kept private directly to Pastor Dan and Sue at their home address.
The tributes will be used in a video or a book that will be presented to Pastor Dan and Sue. Any non-digital photos will be scanned and returned. Please note that due to volume, we may not be able to use all tributes during the January 24 service; however, all tributes will be forwarded on to Pastor Dan and Sue. We would appreciate it if you would forward this information on to any family or friend that may have moved away.
If you have any questions, please contact a committee member: Sharon Postma, Audra Klinkenborg, Cody Hoefert, Susan VanWyhe, Cheryl VanBeek, George Schneidermann, Amy Hartter, Shari Kastein.
Sunday 11-22-20 YTD Offerings YTD Budget
General Fund: $ 10,607.00 $298,307.86 $356,555.63
Benevolent Fund: $ 400.00 $162,654.47 $163,965.14
Building Fund: $ $42,380.49 $74,205.95
SUNDAY: Sunday School Unit 18, Session 3: God’s People Repented/God Revives His People Through a Scribe
7 pm Moms in Prayer: Traditional
5:15 pm Moms in Prayer: College & Careers
7:30 pm Retirement Committee Meeting in the Children Center
12:00 pm Mom’s in Prayer: Traditional
WEDNESDAY: 9:00-11:00am MOPS
2:30 – 5:00 pm Club 512
5:30 pm Moms in Prayer: Traditional
5:00 – 6:30 pm Midweek Meal will be served. All are welcome!
6:15 pm- Bells Practice
6:30 pm JR RCYF
7:00 pm Praise Team Practice
8:00 pm SR RCYF
THURSDAY: 1:00 pm Grandmas in Prayer
SUNDAY: Sunday School – Unit 18, Session 4: Malachi the Prophet/God Warns His People Through a Prophet
4:00pm- Sunday School Christmas Program
7:00 pm Moms in Prayer: Traditional