Jun. 21, 2020
WHAT IS GENUINE CHRISTIANITY?
Introduction:It is possible to claim to be a Christian believer and not truly be one.James has claimed that how we respond to trials and temptations reveals our hearts.He now adds three ways genuine Christian faith is proven.
I.GENUINE FAITH IN JESUS PERMEATES ALL OF LIFE
A.Our Relationships (vv. 19-20)
B.Our Character (v. 21)
II.GENUINE FAITH IN JESUS DOES GOD’S WORD (vv. 21b-25)
A.The Bible:A Means of Grace for Sanctification
1.Transformation not just information
2.Parable of the Sower and the Seed
B.How to Relate to the Bible
* Receive it:“…humbly accept the word planted in you.” (v. 21b)
* Read it:“…the man who looks intently into the perfect law.” (v. 25)
* Review it:“…and continues to do so…” (v. 25)
* Remember it:“…not forgetting what he has heard.” (v. 25)
* Respond to it:“Do not merely listen to what the word says and so deceive yourselves.
Do what it says.” (v. 22)
III.GENUINE FAITH IN JESUS INVOLVES PERSONAL PIETY AND PUBLIC MORALITY (VV. 26-27)
A.Personal Piety (v. 26)
B.Public Morality (v. 27)
Conclusion:What do these diagnostics reveal to you?Have you been a “Christian” in name only?Are you compartmentalizing your faith from your everyday relationships and life?Are there serious deficiencies in your character and relationships?Where do you need to turn to Jesus in repentance and faith and seek the Holy Spirit to grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ?