Oct. 04, 2020
WHAT ARE “CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS?”
Matthew 22:36-40; 28:16-20
Introduction: The purpose of the Christian church is to build communities of faith from which we make disciples, minister to the hurting, spread the story of Jesus, and worship. Why are there so many divisions in the Christian church?
- THE HISTORICAL FLOW CHART OF CHRISTIANITY
- WHAT DIVIDES CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS?
- Theological Differences
How we decide what we believe Relationship of faith and works
The nature of Jesus Christ The nature of the Bible and how we interpret
The sacraments Can you “lose” your salvation
- Church Government
- Relationship of the Church to the World/Culture: Engaged or Separate
- Worship Forms
- Ethnic Groupings
- Moral Issues: human rights, slavery, abortion, same gender marriage, war and peace; the environment, marriage, divorce and remarriage, wealth and poverty, etc.
- A Common Creed
- THE REFORMED CHURCH IN AMERICA
Conclusion: What is at the root of the Reformed Church’s conflict which is splintering the denomination? Next week we will look at the history of our internal divisions.