Sep. 13, 2020
THE POWER OF PATIENCE
Introduction: Three times James reminds us of the Second Coming of Jesus. James calls us to be patient as we endure the grinding hardships of life while we wait (vs. 10).
- WHAT IS PATIENCE?
- “Longsuffering Endurance”
- A Strong Determination in Suffering
- THE BASIS FOR PATIENCE
- Because Jesus Will Return (v. 8)
- Because God Rewards Patience (v. 11)
- Because God is at Work (v. 11)
- HOW TO BE PATIENT: THREE EXAMPLES
- Wait Like the Farmer (vv. 7-9)
- Wait expectantly
- Wait with preparation
- Wait with complaining and blaming
- Wait Like the Prophets (v. 10)
- In the face of suffering
- Faithful to God’s will
- Wait Like Job (vv. 11-12)
- A story of endurance/perseverance
- God is revealed as merciful
Conclusion: The focal point of waiting is the return of Jesus Christ. All of life is to be lived in light of the one event of the Second Coming.