Oct. 25, 2020
REFORMED CHURCH IN AMERICA AT A CROSSROADS
Matthew 9:16-17; Revelation 2:18-29
Introduction: The Reformed Church is at a crossroads as a denomination. The Vision Team 2020 was assigned to offer alternatives for the direction into the future.
- VISION 2020 RECOMMENDATIONS
- Three Scenarios
- Stay Together
- Restructure and Reorganize
* Realign into “Affinity Classes”
* Create a separate Mission Agency
- Grace Filled Separation
- Priority of “Unity over “Purity of Doctrine and Practice”
- What is our unity based on?
- Do we have unity?
- WHEN SHOULD DENOMINATIONS DIVIDE?
- First Order Issues: Break Fellowship
* Major Doctrinal and Ethical Issues Essential to Christianity
* Is same gender marriage in this category?
- Second Order Issues: Boundaries Between Fellowships
* Issues which the Bible is not completely clear
- Third Order Issues: Remain in Close Fellowship
* Issues that we disagree and can tolerate
- Other Considerations
- Problems with the structure of RCA government
- Difference between disagreeing on interpretations of what the Bible teaches and disregarding what the Bible teaches
- Is toleration acceptable?