Jun. 28, 2020
HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE RIGHT
Introduction: James teaches us that our faith in Jesus is to influence all of life. One attitude of our heart that needs transformation is with favoritism.
- THE PROBLEM: DISCRIMINATION IS A SIN
- Types of Discrimination
- Why It Is Wrong
- Contradicts the attitude of God (vv. 5-7)
- Violates the law of God (vv. 8-11)
- Inconsistent with faith in Christ (Colossians 3:11)
- It is unloving and manifestation of pride
- THE COMMAND: DO NOT SHOW FAVORTISM
- Stated Negatively: Believers must not show favoritism (v. 1)
- Illustration (vv. 2-3)
- Favoritism reveals evil intentions (v. 4)
- Stated Positively: Keep the Royal Law in Scripture: Love Your Neighbor as Yourself.
1. Does God choose you in Christ because you are superior to others?
2. Genuine faith is demonstrated by showing mercy to others.
“Anyone who does not love his brother and sister, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.” 1 John 4:20
Conclusion: Different Christian groups have their favorite causes and evils to combat in our culture and the church. We as evangelical Christians need to take the sin of racism and discrimination more seriously and thoughtfully.