Jul. 05, 2020
HOW TO HAVE AUTHENTIC FAITH
Introduction: James continues his challenge that we are to be doers of the Word and just hearers. Authentic faith in Christ always bears fruit.
- THE RELATIONSIP BETWEEN FAITH AND WORKS
Paul (Galatians 2:18) James (James 2:24)
Problem: Legalism Problem: Laxity
Works: Jewish Laws Works: Christian lifestyle
Focus: Root of Salvation Focus: Fruit of Salvation
Purpose: How to know I’m a Christian Purpose: How to show I’m a Christian
- WHAT AUTHENTIC FAITH IS NOT
- Faith Is Not Just Something You SAY (vs. 14)
- Faith Is Not Just Something You FEEL (v. 15-16)
- Faith Is Not Just Something You THINK/AGREE WITH (v. 18)
- WHAT AUTHENTIC FAITH IS (vv. 18b-26)
- Example of Abraham (vv. 20-24)
- Example of Rahab (vs. 25)
Conclusion: Genuine faith is not determined by what we do, it is demonstrated by what we do.
2 Corinthians 13:5: “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves.”
- Is my lifestyle any different at all from unbelievers?
- Do I demonstrate my faith in acts of love and compassion?
- Am I serving Christ with the gifts and resources He has given me?