HOW JESUS REVERSES THE CURSE
Introduction: How do we explain the evil that comes from human beings and even nature? How do we explain why there is death (physical, spiritual, eternal)? And where do we find hope?
- I.THE CURSE COMES THROUGH ONE MAN: ADAM (vv. 12-14)
- A.Sin and Death Come Through Adam
- 1.Adam is humanity’s representative
- 2.All humanity sinned in Adam and share in death
- B.The Reign of Death (vv. 13-14)
- II.THE CURSE IS REVERSED BY ONE MAN: JESUS (vv. 15-19)
- A.The Gift of God’s Grace Contrasted to Judgement (vv. 15-16a)
- B.Justification by Faith Contrasted to Condemnation (vv. 16, 18)
- C.Christ’s Obedience Contrasted to Adam’s Disobedience (v. 17)
- III.THE CURSE IS REVERSED BY GRACE (vv. 20-21)
- A.The Law and Grace (v. 20)
- B.The Increase of Grace (v.20)
- C.The Reign of Grace (v. 21)
Conclusion: Two men, Adam and Jesus, have the greatest influence in the human race. We can experience the reversal of the curse of sin and death by union with God by faith in Jesus Christ.